If anyone is still reading this blog, I want them to know that it isn't as dead as it looks. I have 2 weeks from the end of my European adventures to make up lies about still, and I plan on doing that. I have some photos to remind me of real events which I can expand into fantastical stories.
Also, I've decided to treat my life more like I treated my adventures, and try some new things (or at least new drinking holes) now and then, and then write blog entries about things that didn't actually happen while I was trying these new things.
My goal? I want to encourage my readers to take similar chances in their lives-- to try new things, explore new places, and compare their experiences to the ones I make up. If I have any creative abilities at all, my readers should come out of this feeling bad about themselves for having less fun than I. If that happens, I'll have achieved my goal.
So why the hell has it been so long?
Look, I've been busy. For example, here I am with my Dad, Sister, and Step-mom at my birthday party.
Notice that grinning idiot in the back? That's Phatty, nosing his way into my beautiful family picture. I had to lock him in a wardrobe with my friend Chris Murray's horrible dog for 3 days to teach him a lesson.
And these things take time. It also takes time to do something this amazing to my hair.
I did that to get my friends to go to a party. Then my friends got drunk with me and helped me dislocate my pinky so severely that the top 2 sections of it pointed freakishly in a direction they've never pointed before with respect to the rest of my hand. I don't have a photo because my level of intoxication gave me the pain tolerance and impulsiveness to wrench the 2/3rds-of-a-pinky back into place immediately, which the doctor later told me was good, even though it was bad to play basketball at 2am on a Saturday night on an 8-foot rim after 2 parties. And drunk.
Cuz I hadn't figured that out yet.
On the plus side, my two dear friends who were with me were very helpful. Brian came over to check out my finger, told me it would be all right and I should get back in the game, cuz it's the playoffs! Grizzo called me a wimp. Then they made me walk home alone. The hand expert at the hospital didn't call me a wimp:
Doc: "What happened?"
gcb: "I was catching an alley-oop, only I caught it all on the tip of my pinky, which then bent backwards from this middle knuckle at a really terrible angle." (I gesture to demonstrate angle)
Doc: "How'd it get back in place?"
gcb: "I grabbed it and bent it back immediately."
Doc: "I bet that hurt pretty bad."
gcb: "I dunno, it kinda hurt." (I'm being honest here)
Doc: "If that didn't hurt like the dickens, you must have been drunk." (He's being insightful here)
Then the Doc told me how he busted his head open playing basketball after a few drinks this one time, and taught me how to tape my fingers together the way NBA players do.
Also, I have a job now. But not a home.
More on all that later. As soon as I *do* get a home, I plan on blogging more frequently.
gcb
25.5.06
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
GCB-
It's so great that you are going to continue the blog in your "regular" life (although that seems like an awful adjective for YOUR life). I have been faithfully checking in every few days, and those 2 lonely comments on Grizzo's last post taunted me. Many a time I started a snide comment about how it sucks you weren't continuing the blog. But I knew you'd come around.
You better clear up that backlog of the end of your Europe travels. You get to New York in less than a MONTH and we're sure to have some adventures... (I drink now, remember ;)
Gabe,
It's hard for me to believe that it has been over a half-year since we were in Berlin and you were repairing my laptop-- thanks again for that, by the way. I vaguely remembered you mentioning that you had a blog, so I decided to look it up in order to tell you this: your music has changed my life!
Though the laptop you originally put the music on is now long-gone (after lasting three months in Europe, it was stolen the first week I was back in Seattle...), I have the music loaded on to my ipod, and I was discussing with a friend earlier today how lucky I was to have come into possessing such music.
But enough of the thank-you; I hope the rest of your travels went well (from reading your blog, I gather that they have), and I wish you luck in your return to the "real" world, if indeed you plan on going back to such a boring place.
Matt Sachse
Thanks Matt! Welcome back to the states, by the way. I'm glad you have enjoyed the music.
That character who posted above you, Alec, and the fellow who posted some of the Japan blog, Grizzo, are the ones who introduced me to 90% of it, so you can thank them, too :)
Did you use ketchup to make your hair do that?
I know! It works great!!!
Um - I mean - if you did use ketchup.
You know Toddy, I just used wax that Grizzo had sitting around, but *next time* I'm definitely using ketchup, if for no other reason that the delightful scent.
Glad to see you posting!!
I was getting tired of reading Japan over and over and over and over ;)
~K
Post a Comment