16.4.05

officially homeless

I'm sleeping on Grizzo's floor tonight, a day and a half from leaving Portland. My old place is empty, my useless piles of old clothes and photos and other things I'll never really need are in a garage in the suburbs, and everything I need is in one backpack. I guess.

4 tshirts
4 pairs of socks
(I'm not telling how many pairs of undies)
2 pairs of pants
a toothbrush and some other stuff in case I decide I don't want to smell bad
something warm
some books
some other weird stuff I found
and enough technology to keep me fully entertained:
the powerbook I type on now
iPod (so I can drown out the exciting places I go with familiar American music- safely avoiding any cultural enlightenment)
my very first digital camera
Star Wars dvds

I also have a pocket knife that will probably never make it overseas (because needle-nose pliers are a danger to any commercial flight) and a silk sleeping bag, which seems like a good idea- but I still can't imagine actually using it. It folds up into a space smaller than a can of soda... can that really be warm?

Before I leave Portland, I have to let some guy look in my mouth at the holes he made last week to remove teeth I apparently didn't need. That confuses me- the holes in my mouth are totally annoying, and it seems like those "useless" teeth were doing a great job of keeping those holes filled. But I'm not a professional, so I'll just keep eating soft foods and writing checks.

Portland, OR
USA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh,no! I didn't make you any cookies to take around the world!

Alec Longstreth said...

Good-bye Portland, HELLO WORLD!!!

Congratulations GCB! I'm so stoked you are keeping a blog!!!

WOO!!!!

Mr Tambo said...

Far out Gabe! As for the silk sleeping bag, it'll keep you pretty warm, but mostly it'll keep hostel scabies from invading your skin. Keep a grip on your junk, man!