don't read if you don't like sentimental whatnot.
My last night in New York. Out at karoake for the second time in 5 days with Alexis Macnab- the partier of my New York friends. Alexis and I agree that a particular karoaker is very beautiful and glowing, and Alexis insists that I go flirt with her. (Macnab would have done it herself but her on-again off-again was present) Since I'm not good at that sort of thing it takes some convincing, but I eventually strike up a conversation with the girl- Jen.
We did not speak at great length, but she was friendly enough, and apologized for a brief interruption from a friend, explaining that the friend was having romantic difficulties. Jen was expressing frustration with her friend's handling of that situation, and (glossing over details) said to me, "I mean, I've had my heart broken..." and then, with a simple honesty that made the statement ring in my ears: "and I still love every person who has broken my heart.." etc.
Anyway, it was that sentence that struck me. I won't ever see or speak to Jen again, and I think that allowed her to be unusually honest in a unique way: matter-of-fact but plainly heartfelt.
I'm probably explaining it poorly, but something about it got me right in the chest. I almost cried on the subway, I think. Would have made a better end to the New York leg of the adventure if I had. More dramatic, anyway! If only I weren't so dehydrated from singing, dancing, and tequila.
I'll be in Ohio by noon tomorrow.
Gabe
26.5.05
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Atta boy!
Way to flex those emotional muscles. Are you sure you weren't just weepy about the end of Episode 3? It was pretty tragic.
Yeah, that's not sentimentality exactly--that's cool human interconnectivity at its finest. I love that shit.
(Also: Hi GCB! This is Jo. I've never commented on your blog before. Sometimes I'm askeered of blogs, but I am overcoming the fear because I wanted to say "bon voyage" and all. It was most excellent to see you at Alec's, and I hope you have a killer time running around in the cool non-American parts of the world.)
(Also: Did you sing karaoke? Karaoke is way scarier than blogs. You get points.)
I certainly sang! If you can call what I do singing. I generally stick to Cake, Weezer, and the Beastie Boys because it hides my inability to sing specific notes, kinda.
Post a Comment